Thursday, December 16, 2010

Professor Farouk El-Baz, Shuttlecraft

On January 11, 1995, I wrote a letter to Professor Farouk El-Baz at Boston University's Center for Remote Sensing. I had earlier read an article about the good doctor in OMNI magazine and was excited to hear about his research. More than that, I was sure he was the namesake for the shuttlecraft in the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "Time Squared." You can imagine how excited I was to receive a letter back from him, handwritten, as well as copies of articles about his life, singed cards and the cool picture from OMNI. In the letter he wrote that he had kept a couple of cards for himself, as he had never seen them. This tickled me to no end, so I gathered up as many as I could get my hands on and sent them to him. This has been one of my prize possessions since.













No comments:

Post a Comment